Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Bruins start/predictions


So I got to see the Bruins for the first time in 2007, eschewing the Red Sox game on TV for watching opening night against the Stars. The first period looked good, they looked a lot more focused and controlled than last year. It wasn't until the second period that discipline broke down, and they really reminded me of last year. Manny Fernandez looked capable as another good goalie, and might be a true #1, but I'd say he's only a step or two better than Tim Thomas. Will the Bruins be better this year? I'd say yes, and I think the announcers would agree with me. They seemed to have the "They'll be better, but not good" vibe, which I could see, and there was some talk about getting to the playoffs, but both they and I were skeptical about that prospect. The biggest change that I liked was the addition of Mike Milbury to the crew of analysts. He was a great player, and coach, and knows what it takes to get the Bs to the playoffs. He's been there, he's seen the great players, and he's not afraid to say what he thinks about this current team.

Anyway, back to the Bs team. They lost that Dallas game 4-1, and then went out to Phoenix, and beat up on the Coyotes 3-1, like they should have. Now, the Stars and the Coyotes are vastly different teams, and Dallas played like a team that had 107 points last year, and the Coyotes played like a team that had 67 points. The Bruins? They played like they had 76 points last year, unfortunately. So, even though the season is young, I think that they're going to be better than last year, but not by much. I'm saying right now its going to be about a 500 season, with 40 wins, 34 losses, and 8 OT losses. That gives them 88 points, and probably out of the playoffs again, but still, an improvement.

Can this team get better? Sure. If they spend the money, invest in a young team, and let them grow together, with the crucial addition of veteran guys that want to teach, and want to take this team to the next level. That's what happened in the late 80s, and that's what should happen again. Most importantly, they need a good D. Zdeno Chara is a good defenseman, but I don't see him being a captain, even though he has that C on his chest, and I don't see him leading this team deep into the playoffs.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

If you'd like to visit my blog, I'm at www.houseoffourcats.blogspot.com.