Monday, October 01, 2007

Bruins 2007-2008 first post



I hate to admit it, but I'm a little bit excited by the Bruins this year. They've got the magic bear back on their jerseys, I think they got rid of the mustard bear head jerseys, they've got a goalie that doesn't look like the Dutch Paint Boy, and I think Phil Kessel and Patrice Bergeron will light things up this year, though I think they should move one of them to a wing, and let them play on the same line to start some chemistry. I know, they're going to suck, and apparently there are VERY few hockey fans in central Mass, and the Celtics and Patriots will relegate them to nearly no coverage, but I'm still a fan. Have you seen the new jerseys for the various teams? I'm liking that the Crapitals changed back to their old unis, and I like the Minnesota home jersey with the ring, but I'm not liking the Thrashers blue uniform, that's gonna give me a headache.

One more note about hockey: "Joe Thornton posted 114 points for the Sharks last season." That hurts. Especially when you calculate that the 3 nickles the Bruins got for their quarter were Marco Sturm, with 44 points and a -24 +/-, Brad Stuart 17 pts, -22 and Wayne Primeau, 15 pts, -15 +/-. That adds up to 76 points, and an average +/- of -21.(Thornton had a +24) Even if you added the guys the B's traded Sturm and Stuart for, Andrew Ference(15 pts) and Chuck Kobasew(19 pts) they STILL only add up to 110 points of production. What gets me is that the GM is claiming to pick up the two guys from Calgary to help out with "production and stability from young guys". Ference is older than Thornton, and like I said, neither of the new guys have produced much. So in the long run, I think that the B's are looking at having traded a quarter for 3 nickels, and then traded 2 of those nickels for 3 pennies each, leaving the "storied franchise" with 11 cents and a bucket of tears.

Wow, I just took a survey over at ESPN that let you rate things about the team like "Has loyalty to the players", "Has inexpensive parking", and "Franchise pays well to keep players". I gave the Bruins 1 out of 10 for most of the questions, especially the "Consistently wins more games than they lose" http://vp-nri.com/take?i=111318&h=0jIb3FiGAM9Mv-7q6JZ-VA

No comments: