Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Don't Call it a Comeback(Bruins Blog 2)


I've been here for years...Huh? What? LL Cool J references? At this time of night? No, its just another Bruins blog. Wow, its been a month since updating this silly thing. But if you blog and there's no-one there to read it, does it matter? Did you know that I learned how to clap with one hand, just so I could answer that philosophical question, a la bart simpson? Its darn useful. Anyway...
After starting off horrifically, the Bruins are starting to make a comeback. Well, I hate to call it a comeback, as they've just reached mediocrity, and are still of little quality. The offense, as I predicted, is starting to gel,(or is it jel? I think its gel, and that the use of jel was inspired by the demon dessert, jell-o) and actually putting up the goals. But there's still the problem of not being able to stop the other team from scoring, especially in the third period, or when they have a large lead. Give these B's a 3 goal lead, and they fall asleep. I know its happened at least 3 times this year, against Toronto, Carolina, and the Habitants of Royal Mountain most recently. And having seen two of those games, I'm here to say that it definitely wasn't the goalie's fault. The defense was just letting the opposing team take shot after shot, like some crazed sideburned samurai.
So yes, they're looking better, and are over .500, with a 13-10-2 record. Hey ESPN, would it kill you to put up a graph a la what you do for MLB? I know that hockey is now 6th on your list, below NASCAR and "Autos", and barely above college basketball, which is just beginning, but show a little love, will you?
Ugh, I just looked at the NHL Power chart on ESPN, and I think I threw up in my mouth a little. The top teams are: Buffalo,(and their horrid new logo) the Anaheim Ducks, the San Jose Sharks, the Nashville Predators, the Atlanta Thrashers, the Carolina Hurricanes, and the Dallas Stars. Are you kidding me? If people want to know why hockey is failing, maybe they should look to expansion and the movement away from the traditional cities. I know that Hartford, Winnipeg and Quebec aren't exactly huge markets, but I certainly would rather have a team there than in Kansas City or Oklahoma City, or Salt Lake City. Cut the team in half, and you'll see some amazing hockey, and people will start coming back to the game. Or alternatively, do what the English Premier League does, and cut the league in half, with an NHL Premier and an NHL Standard league. The worst team in the premier league goes to the standard league, and the team that wins the standard league cup moves up to the big time. I've made this same argument for baseball, and I think it shows that I like it. Yeah, it would kill me to see the Bruins be in the standard league, but thems the breaks.
Back to the Bruins. Savard is looking very good, and he's fast as lightning. He reminds me a bit of Brian Rolston from a few years ago, except without the defensive capabilities. Marc is one of the reasons they're getting burned on turnovers and defense, he's always got an eye up-ice for that elusive breakaway. Phil Kessel is trying his hardest, but isn't coming out the way I had hoped, but he's trying, and he's young. Of course, I said that about Kyle MacLaren. I think Phil may end his season in Providence, but I could be wrong. I hope I'm wrong. Patrice Bergeron is blazing fast, and has eagle eyes. He's got 25 points, but would have 30 if you add his pipe-ringers. I haven't seen this kind of accuracy on the Bs since Ray was here.
Speaking of the defense, no one's standing out, and I do like Zdeno Chara, but I don't think he's captain material. Why not make Glen Murray captain? Because 1)He doesn't want it, and 2)if they continue to stink, he'll be out of town before the year's end. The D is overall a young group, and they're showing it, chasing around speedy players like a cheerleader after a jock. Players like Martin St. Louis make them look stupid, as do skilled players like Rod Brin'd'Amour.
I guess I was wrong when I said that Hannu was going to be the go to guy this year, he folded like a paranoid poker player, and got sent down to the minors for it. Who's the #2 in Boston right now? No one. Timmy T is between the pipes, and is 11-6 for his efforts, which is not a bad total, until you look at his goals against, which is a manwich-sized 3.10, though his save percentage is a little better, at 90.4%. For those stattos out there, that puts our man Tim at 33rd out of 41 in GAA, but a better 23rd in percentage. He's looked better of late, but still not great.

My new prediction is a sight better than last one, but not by much. New prediction:
32-38-12, for a total of 76 points, and a 12th place finish in the East, 25ht overall. Smack dab in the middle of half-crappy land, where you don't get a great pick, but you don't get into the playoffs.

No comments: