Tuesday, September 12, 2006

White Rabbit


Much like the White Rabbit from Alice in Wonderland, I am obsessed with time. Its a driving force in my life, I'm constantly thinking about what time it is, and I'm constantly in fear of being late when I need to be somewhere, even if its a self-imposed deadline. I always have two sources of time available to me, usually a watch and a clock of some sort, be it computer, analog, phone, or other. I'm constantly calculating how long it will take me to get somewhere, or how much faster I could get if I went this way, or how long I spent doing this, or that, or how much time is needed to go this way or that, etc.

This obsession with time is even more interesting when you take into account my wife. Her concept of time is nearly the opposite, time is a very fluid thing to her, both time of day and periods of time. 5 minutes to her is "just a short amount of time", and thats how she'll measure it in her head, "just a short amount of time". Realistically, this may be anywhere between 5 minutes and an hour. It may sound like I'm bashing her for this, or that I think this is a problem. I admit, it can be frustrating to a time slave such as myself, but that is more of my shortcoming than hers. I admire her ability to not care about time, and to be able to see it as a more flexible thing, because it releases one's servitude to the clock and allows her, in turn, to be more flexible in her daily life.

I'm not sure if I want to "fix" this time obsession, because a) it would be very difficult to change, b) it would make things interesting when it came to getting places on time, and c) I'm no so sure I want to change it. Temper it, perhaps, but not discard it completely. I need to be more flexible when it comes to measuring my time, and thats going to take some work.

"Inchworm, inchworm, measuring the marigolds, could it be you stop and see, how beautiful they are"

No comments: